Although mattress toppers have been on the market for several years, there is still some confusion about what they actually are. Quite simply, it's a thick pad that is placed directly on top of your existing mattress which then adds an additional layer of support and protection when you sleep.
The majority of people are likely to be sleeping on the same deteriorating mattress for many years. This is when it starts to become saggy, dip and become uncomfortable to sleep on.
Although quality of sleep is extremely important it's understandable that many people do not have the knowledge to go out and select the best mattress topper for their needs. Also the the cost of a mattress can be a large financial outlay for many, whilst mattress toppers are much more affordable.
Many people also have problems with their existing mattress due to back or joint pain as result of a lack of support. A more affordable solution is to purchase a mattress topper which can be used to alleviate all these problems at a fraction of the cost.
Silentnight Mattress Topper + Cover
Bodymould Mattress Topper
Visco Mattress Topper
Southern Foam Mattress Topper
Sleep Kings Mattress Topper
What is a Mattress Topper?
A mattress topper is a thinner version of the traditional full size memory foam mattress that you may already have. Although they are smaller in thickness, they're usually made from the same materials that are found in their full size thicker counterparts, namely foam and latex.
They are usually between 1" and 5" thick and vary in price depending on quality and brand. This topper is then placed directly onto your existing mattress and then place your normal bedding on top of the topper.
Benefits of Mattress Topper
Buying a mattress topper brings several benefits to the user, however the main two are the following:
1. Additional Comfort Layers:
The main benefit is the additional cushioning effect which works to support you entire bodyweight when you sleep. There is only so much a traditional mattress can do and at that point a mattress topper can further enhance your sleep. It should really be viewed as a necessary accessory.
If you decide to sleep on your mattress without a topper, then in the near future you will notice that it will completely compress under you bodyweight. This will still happen with a mattress topper but it will happen at a much slower rate
Not only can it improve an existing poor sleeping experience but it can also make a great mattress even greater.
2. Increase Longevity of the Mattress
If you directly sleep on your traditional mattress then there are three main elements that you can't avoid:
- Bacteria & Dead Skin Cells
- Body Perspiration
- Indentations and Sagging
Individually they are all alarming and are problems that shouldn't be avoided when they start to occur. These are not myths, and they actually happen over time and are some of the main reasons why a mattress topper should be used regardless of how high quality your existing mattress is. In fact the more you pay for you mattress, the more vital a topper is.
The numerous other benefits that you gain from using a topper pays dividends in the long run. Because of this you shouldn't look at this as an unnecessary expense, but as a way to extend the life of your mattress which allows it to stay newer for longer.
It costs much less to replace a worn, used topper than it does a complete mattress.
Do I Need a Mattress Topper?
Whether you need a topper varies from person to person, however you must first understand that a mattress topper is a continuation of your existing sleeping surface.
We have found that there are two different types of mattress consumer
- The first prefers to just have a thick traditional mattress instead of an additional topper. This is perfectly acceptable however the cost associated with this is considerably higher.
- The second group who make up the majority, place an extra layer in the form of a mattress topper and are fully content with this option in addition to not having to spend large amounts of money on a new mattress.
Now answer the following questions:
- Is your current mattress uncomfortable to sleep on?
- Is it beginning to sag in places and become worn over time?
- Do you have a low budget?
Now if you answered yes to any of the questions above then you are an ideal mattress topper user and you should consider purchasing one.
Do I Need a Mattress Cover?
Whether a topper comes complete with a cover will vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. Sometimes they'll be included, and other times they will be sold separately.
A general rule is that covers are not usually necessary, largely because your usual bedding should be enough to provide adequate protection on the surface. However it's an added bonus if it's included with your purchase.
There are several things you need to consider before purchasing a mattress topper:
You must be aware of the size of your current mattress and be sure that the topper you buy will match the dimensions. They come in the identical sizes to mattresses- Small, Double , King and Super King.
Different toppers come with different densities and this can't be ignored as it's extremely important to the results that you will experience. The normal trend is that the higher the density, the higher the cost however this is fully justified.
A higher density mattress topper has a higher capability of effectively distributing your bodyweight which relieves pressure points when you sleep through the night.
As mentioned in our reviews, when you first unwrap it you may notice a distinct smell that is given off. These chemicals are not harmful and are a result of the manufacturing process that is used to create the foam. The smell usually disappears after a few hours.
The thickness that you require for your mattress topper will be determined by the position you sleep in, the condition of your existing mattress, any spine, joint issues that you're currently suffering from and your current body weight.
- If you sleep on your stomach then a 2 inch topper will be a suitable choice
- If you sleep on your side or back then a 3 inch topper will provide the necessary support you need.
- If you currently weight over 18 stone then a 4 inch thick mattress topper will be more suitable as it provides more support than the traditional 2-3 inch topper.
1. Silentnight Impress 5cm Memory Foam Mattress Topper Review
Silent Night are one of the largest and best well known manufacturers and retailers for bed related goods. This category is no different as they've created a 5cm ultra thick mattress topper to breathe life into your old worn mattress.
As always with Silentnight, this is a well constructed product and they have left no stone unturned as the topper brings firmness whilst also being extremely comfortable.
The mattress topper comes complete with a washable polyester cover that the majority of other competitor products don't come with. This further protects your mattress from damage, bacteria and general wear and tear.
- The filling material in the topper is made from high quality memory foam that will provide support and comfort to you while you sleep
- Free washable cover
- Will help to relieve pressure, decrease stress, lower back pain and cure aching joints.
- Unlike many competitor products it has a higher max weight so you are less likely to sink if you have a higher bodyweight.
- Non allergenic, so it will not trigger any unwanted reactions when you sleep on it.
- Available via next day delivery so you can cure your problems as quick as possible.
- Comes with a 5 year manufacturers guarantee.
This is definitely the best mattress topper that we fully recommend because not only does it come complete with a cover but also because it is made by one of the largest reputable companies in the industry. Although at 2" thick it's slightly less than its competitors, it more than makes up for this by using top quality materials which makes the product long lasting and comes complete with a 5 year manufacturers guarantee.
Sometimes it's necessary to pay a little money for real quality and the reviews speak for themselves.
2. Bodymould Mattress Topper Review
Bodymould are slowly building a strong reputation for their UK-made memory foam mattress toppers that contour your body whilst you sleep to give you a comfortable night.
Bodymould mattresses is a family run business located in West Sussex and have been manufacturing foam products for many years and are the main supplier to a large number of chiropractic clinics and osteopaths.
- Bodymould provide the option of having a cover included in your purchase, although this comes at an extra cost it will allow you to protect your existing mattress.
- Comes roll packed and boxed, which means that it's easier to manoeuvre once its delivered and you can be using it within just a few hours.
- Made in the UK and meets all the necessary furniture and fire laws & regulations
- Uses genuine memory foam to conform to the shape of your lying body which provides excellent support and comfort.
This mattress topper may not be quite as good as the Silentnight version, it is a great alternative if you're more price sensitive. Though if you end up buying a cover, it will be a similar price to the Silentnight version.
3. Visco Mattress Topper Review
With almost 500 reviews on Amazon, the Visco mattress topper is one of the most reviewed toppers and the results speak for themselves with many happy customers.
At 3 inches thick it has the capability to support your bodyweight throughout the whole night, even on a poor mattress.
- The product is 3 inches thick, so it has the ability to effectively cover any sagging and lumps in your old mattress.
- Like all the alternative products in this review, it will help to cure any back joints,aches and pains.
- Every purchase includes a free removable and washable cover to further protect your traditional mattress.
The Visco mattress topper is a good alternative if you're price sensitive. It must be noted that although a free cover is included, it has been reported by several users that it is papery thin and not fit for use. However they claim that the topper itself reduced any back and joint pains they were suffering from.
When you first receive the product, it may have a distinct smell but this fades in just a few days.
4. Southern Foam Mattress Topper Review
This Southern Foam mattress topper is made from UK made memory foam which provides superb consistency giving a great nights sleep when placed on top of a traditional mattress.
The memory foam has a density of 40kg and provides a huge amount of comfort to aid sleep whilst reducing muscle soreness and joint issues.
- When purchasing, there is an option to include a cover. This does incur an extra cost.
- The 3 inch mattress topper works to alleviate pressure on the joints and back, providing a more comfortable sleep.
- Extremely affordable compared to alternatives of the more pricey toppers and mattresses.
The Southern Foam mattress topper is definitely for the price conscious as it's significantly lower than its competitors. Of course it is less effective than the Silentnight alternative, however it still has good pressure relieving properties. You must allow around 24 hours in order for the foam to expand to its original size.
With over 1200 reviews on Amazon and 4.3 stars, customers are happy with what they get for the price.
5. Sleepkings Mattress Topper Review
Sleep Kings are an independent retail company who dedicated to supplying high quality products direct to the consumer passing on substantial savings along the way. All their products are UK made in the north of England.
- UK made memory foam which complies to all the necessary national rules and regulations.
- Very good value and extremely affordable for most consumers.
- Manufactured by a reputable company that has been trading for many years and built a strong reputation.
This is not a mattress topper that should be avoided as it has the characteristics to support your body throughout your nights sleep and relieve any existing aches and pains.
The main downside is that it is not a heavily reviewed product through Amazon, however the reviews it does have are extremely positive.
So there you have it! The best mattress toppers that are available to buy today so you don't have to do any guesswork. Don't allow your body to suffer when you have such a great accessible alternative. All thats left for you to do now is to decide which one's the most suitable for you.