Looking for the best memory foam pillow for comfort and value? This detailed guide will help you choose the right memory foam pillow that is super comfortable and will give you a cosy sleep every night.
Sleep is one of the most important things for the human body to function correctly, but more and more of us are not getting enough of it and are not 100% comfortable. Pillows are often overlooked as a way of improving sleep until the creation of memory foam pillows.
Every year there's a new type of pillow that enters the market and threatens to become the next best selling pillow. However, there's one type of pillow that has remained a favourite for many years, and that's the memory foam pillow.
They may not be as cheap as traditional feather pillows, but millions of users around the world have testified to their effectiveness; however, Latex and Down pillows are slightly pricier. If pillow types were ranked by price to satisfaction ratio, memory foam pillows would be up there with the best.
Choosing a memory foam pillow is not something you want to leave to chance as it can quickly become an expensive failure if you choose the wrong one. This guide is set out to simplify the buying process and streamline the process, so you don't waste hours, because let's be honest, who has days and days to devote to buying a new pillow?
This guide is especially useful if you are new to memory foam pillows as it includes a detailed buying guide, reviews and additional relevant information. There is a vast range of choice, but there will only be one that perfectly suits your individual needs and preferences, so continue reading as we bring you the best memory foam pillows.
Find the Best Memory Foam Pillow
1. Panda Luxury Bamboo Memory Foam Pillow
Introducing the UK designed original Panda bamboo memory foam pillow which is constructed with a triple layer of moulded memory foam which conforms to your body to provide the ultimate support and comfort.
Bamboo is naturally a woody, hard plant that converts into a soft and comfortable fabric. The primary qualities of this fabric are that it's extremely soft and creates a cashmere feel due to being twice as soft as regular cotton.
Unlike traditional memory foam which overheats, The Panda pillow has built-in temperature regulating technology that keeps the pillow warm during winter and cool throughout summer.
The temperature is regulated by the highly breathable bamboo pillow cover that allows air to flow through it freely. The wicking and odour resistant qualities ensure that your body is kept cool and dry.
As expected, the pillow is hypoallergenic and dust mite free. Also included is a bamboo cover which has antibacterial qualities and has a silky smooth feel yet can also be easily removed and machine washed.
Every Panda pillow comes with a 10-year manufacturer guarantee, and this can be redeemed in the form of either a 100% money back refund or a replacement unit.
2. AmazonBasics Fresh-Memory-Foam-Pillow
Now it was only a matter of time until Amazon got into the memory foam pillow market and they haven’t disappointed.
This pillow is made using high-density memory foam which provides excellent support to contour to the shape of your head, neck and shoulders to relieve pressure point, giving you a good night sleep.
These pressure-relieving benefits ensure that you wake up the morning feeling well-rested. The pillow comes with a cover made from a super-soft ice silk fabric that is breathable so airflow can be maintained throughout the night, so you don’t overheat. It’s also antistatic and anti-ultraviolet for added benefits.
This cover is easy to remove from the pillow and machine washable so you can keep your sleeping surface clean and fresh.
The pillow has a 2-in-1 design that makes it warm through the winter but cool in the summer, so you have one pillow all year round regardless of the season.
The Amazon Basics Memory foam pillow features an ergonomic design that contours to the exact shape of your neck, head and shoulders to relax and alleviate any pressure. It also works to align your spine whether you sleep on your side or back.
In terms of sustainability, Amazon has ticked the box with it being certified by CertiPur-EU and OEKO-TEX showing that it meets the highest possible standards of manufacturing quality.
3. Simba Memory Foam Pillow
Simba has been creating high-quality mattresses for several years, establishing themselves as one of the best in the business. They have now used this expertise to create high-quality memory foam pillows.
The pillows have adjustable memory foam that works to cradle and support your head and neck, which means that you can fully relax throughout the night.
The memory foam is responsive, which means that when you change position, the memory foam also changes shape to provide continued support.
This responsive memory foam means that it’s great for back and side sleepers.
The pillow also has inbuilt cooling channels which means that strong airflow is maintained so you remain cool as heat can escape so you can sleep without waking up in a pool of sweat.
When you lie on the pillow, it instantly moulds to the shape of your head, which then aligns your spine and relieves pressure. This removes the tenseness from your neck and shoulders.
The pillow is also made from 100% hypoallergenic material so even if you’re sensitive to a range of materials, this pillow won’t disturb your sleep. This pillow is also ideal if you find that you usually wake up with aches and pains because this can relieve these issues even if you’ve been suffering for a long time.
4. TEFOTO Shredded Memory Foam
If you’re unsure of the loft that you need for your pillow, then this could be the choice for you. This pillow has Adjustable Crosscut Memory Foam so you can alter the height to suit your sleeping needs making it great for any type of sleeping position.
For example, side sleepers usually require a more supportive pillow with a higher loft compared to back sleepers so you can have more fill. Whereas if you’re a back sleeper, then you zip the pillow open and remove as much memory foam as you deem necessary to make the pillow right for you.
The memory foam is high quality and contours to the shape of your head to provide pain relief and stress.
The pillow comes with an eco-friendly bamboo cover which is breathable so air can circulate in and out of the pillow to keep you cool as you sleep. The cover has a zip so you can easily remove and machine wash to maintain cleanliness.
The pillow is hypoallergenic, reducing the chance of experiencing an allergic reaction which gives you the peace of mind, and you can sleep in peace while also being dust mite resistant.
5. BedStory Memory Foam Pillow
If you’re a hot sleeper or you’re worried that a memory foam pillow might keep you warm throughout the night, then this is the solution for you.
The Bedstory memory foam pillow uses Cooling gel-infused memory foam that works to regulate your body temperature to promote airflow, keeping you cool and reducing sweating.
The pillow is designed to keep your spine correctly aligned while you sleep by adjusting to the shape of your body. This ensures that you’re sleeping in the most restful position, allowing you to wake up pain-free.
The memory foam is high quality and responsive, which provides your head, neck and shoulders with consistent and reliable support throughout the night.
The pillow comes with a cover that is breathable made from 40% Tencel and 60% microfiber fabric. This has an air layer which is on its surface to promote breathability. This cover is removable and washable.
The pillow has been certified as CertiPUR-US and OEKO-TEX to give you added peace of mind that you’re purchasing a top quality product.
When you receive the pillow, you’ll notice that there’s no chemical smell and it’s also hypoallergenic to give you a healthy and safe sleeping condition.
A three-year warranty is also provided with the pillow to give you added cover.
What is Memory Foam?
Memory foam is a unique type of material called Polyurethane that is sensitive to pressure and reacts to changes in temperature which contours and moulds around your body.
NASA first created memory foam for use on their spacecraft by astronauts to ensure that they experienced the best rest possible and to increase cushion safety.
Over the years it quickly made its way into the commercial world and became readily available to the everyday consumer.
In the case of a memory foam pillow, it moulds around the shape of your head, neck and shoulders to provide a lovely comfortable feeling. This prevents you from waking up in the morning feeling sore, tired and irritable.
Types of Memory Foam Pillow
Contour Memory Foam Pillow
Memory foam is usually a large block of viscoelastic foam; however, this has been developed into a Contour pillow which features a small groove and several ridges running horizontally through the pillow.
The subtle groove helps to cradle and support the head and neck, and due to this it's one of the most popular types of memory foam pillow, and it is an extremely popular choice for those that suffer from neck pain and is commonly used by back sleepers.
Shredded Memory Foam Pillow
The shredded memory foam pillow has a similar shape to a traditionally sized pillow and has a similar height so it is suitable for all types of positions that you may sleep in.
They have been named shredded because its interior is constructed using thousands of small shreds of memory foam which is then tightly packed together.
The main benefit of this creation is that it's more breathable than traditional memory foam pillows which means that air can flow through it, so you don't become overheated when sleeping on it.
Traditional Memory Foam Pillow
Traditional memory foam pillows are usually cut into a solid block rectangular shape which is cut down to your required size and shape.
This is regarded as the entry level type of memory foam pillow and doesn't bring quite as many benefits as the other types but is slightly more affordable but still provides increased support to the neck and shoulders.
Wedge Memory Foam Pillow
The wedge memory foam pillow has many uses by a range of different people. It has an unorthodox shape, featuring a gradual slope and is shaped like a large triangle and can be used to wedge the body up.
Due to being made from memory foam, it can naturally conform to your body which makes it comfortable to lay your back on. While the average person doesn't usually purchase this type of pillow, it can bring great relief to people suffering from medical issues such as acid reflux, sinus problems or respiratory issues.
Women most commonly use wedge pillows during pregnancy as it can be used to provide support to the bump when sleeping to relieve pressure and improve comfort.
Benefits of Memory Foam Pillows
- Hypoallergenic - Viscoelastic foam has unique properties that mean the pillows are rated as hypoallergenic. This means that you have a decreased chance of experiencing any allergic reactions such as asthma when using the pillow. In addition, it also reduces the likelihood of mould build up or dust mite infestation.
- Spinal Alignment - Memory foam has the great ability to reduce pressure and the force of gravity that acts on your body. This enables your spine to remain perfectly aligned in the correct position during sleep to ensure your spine stays in the best state of health.
- Pain relief - Not only is memory foam great at preventing muscle and joint soreness, but it is also effective at relieving the pressure and pain especially if you're experiencing neck, shoulder or back pain. This is because the memory foam allows your body to comfortably sink in to as it contours and conforms to your body.
- Firmness - Memory foam is designed to have a firm feeling to it, which is great for providing support. This is different to the traditional type of pillow you may be used to which is plush and soft. Additionally, unlike traditional pillows, it doesn't develop lumps.
- Durable - Memory foam pillows tend to have a long lasting life and longevity so they will last a number of years before they need to replaced whilst retaining their shape. Their lifespan reflects the slightly higher selling price.
- Hygienic - It is incredibly easy to keep pillows clean and free of bacteria. Memory Foam pillows are either machine washable themselves or they have a removal pillowcase which can be machine washed and is suitable for use in a tumble dryer.
- Support - Viscoelastic by nature is extremely supportive so it will relieve pressure. If its good enough NASA, think of the benefits it will bring to you.
Drawbacks of Memory Foam Pillows
Like any type of product, there will be downsides, and while there aren't many significant drawbacks with memory foam pillow, it's important to know everything about a product before you purchase it.
- Weight - Memory foam is more dense than a traditional pillow which leads to it being slightly heavier. Its isn't hugely heavier but it is noticeable. On average it will weigh 1-2 kg.
- Initial Odour- Memory foam is known for having a smell which can't be avoided and is common on memory foam pillows and mattresses. This odour is produced during the manufacturing of the memory foam and is referred to as "off-gassing". The odour fades after just a few days so its advised to leave it open in a spare room until the smell disappears. But it is nothing harmful
- Price - If you're used to buying traditional pillows, then initially a memory foam pillow will seem expensive especially just for one. But you have to remember you're paying for a better quality of sleep and a longer lasting product.
- Overheating - Viscoelastic foam is known to retain heat throughout the night when you're sleeping on it. Of course a hot pillow can provide discomfort. New models of memory foam pillows have combated this by using ventilated foam or shredded foam that is breathable.
Verdict - Best Memory Foam Pillows
Don't settle for an old sagging pillow and get the supporting and comfortable pillow you deserve. Choosing the best memory foam pillow can be confusing, but now you've made it to the end of this guide you now have all the tools and knowledge to purchase the pillow that fits your requirements.